DPRG
DPRG List

[DPRG] DPRG monthly meeting & talk this Saturday December 10: David Anderson

Subject: [DPRG] DPRG monthly meeting & talk this Saturday December 10: David Anderson
From: David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Date: Mon Dec 12 17:32:53 CST 2011

Howdy,

Thanks to Ron and Paul for the kind words and to Glen for recording and
posting the video.  I had a great time Saturday.  Hope this stuff is
useful.

Watching the video I see lots of mistakes... (base is isosceles
triangle, not equilateral) so maybe I need to make an addenda.  I'll
make some notes and post them.  Isosceles.

I was unable at the warehouse to demonstrate the robot perimeter
following due to a mechanical problem, but here are a couple of videos
that might be helpful in that regard.  The first is the LegoBot
perimeter following an actual wall, using front-looking IR avoidance to
stay off the wall, and side looking SHARP IR distance detectors to
approach the wall:

<http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/lego/lego-04.mpg>

I use the term "perimeter following" rather than "wall following"
because the perimeter my be loosely defined as the boundary around a
group of objects, rather than an actual wall.  Here is LegoBot perimeter
following around the irregular perimeter of my office:

<http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/lego/lego-03.mpg>

Here is the jBot perimeter following around part of the law school at
SMU, using forward looking Sonar to stay off the wall, foliage, etc ,
and side looking Sonar to approach the wall:

<http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/jbot/jbot_wf1.mpg>

Perimeter following is a very powerful tool for solving all sorts of
problems.  The last link is an annotated video of jBot switching between
navigation mode and perimeter following mode in order to navigate around
a large building complex that includes dead-end cul de sacs and other
similar "concave singularity" problems for the robot to solve.

The algorithm tries to attempt to acquire the target waypoint in
navigation mode, and it switches to perimeter following mode if it finds
that the target waypoint is directly behind the robot, switching back to
navigation mode when the waypoint is directly ahead of the robot.  This
works very robustly to solve the waypoint trap problem we talked about
Saturday.

<http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/jbot/jbot2/jbot_ti2.mpg>

Thanks again to everyone that came out Saturday.

happy roboting,
David